mercoledì 24 ottobre 2007

Dreams and Jim Jarmusch

Recently I developed a theory about dreams. I don't sleep all that well so I'm constantly aware of my crazy dreams. For a time I used to get all worried about the significance of this and that, but I've finally decided that there is no need to worry. Dreams don't necessarily show you meaning in life that you couldn't figure out during your waking hours. They really are just a conversation with yourself.My latest theory is that dreams are a form of mental entertainment to keep your brain amused while your sleeping. I noticed that while I have dreams that include myself and people I know, I also have dreams that are similar to movies or television shows. In these dreams not only am I not the main protagonist, but I also have the sensation of watching the action.I have also noticed that the reverse is also true. If for some reason I have some pressing need to get up early, or I have to make that middle-of-the-night trip to the water closet, I'll dream something that is sure to wake me up -- something too violent or scary (usually a discussion of serious medical conditions). Often these topics are introduced inexplicably into the normal flow of the dream. I see it as my brain saying: "Enough of this entertainment! You NEED to be awake."Okay. Now that I have the theory explicated, let's move on to the topic at hand, which would be Jim Jarmusch. This morning I had a mixture of a personal dream with a movie dream. The part about me I don't remember all that well, except it included all the usual moving around and staying in familiar unfamiliar rooms (meaning I've dreamed about these places, but I've no idea where they are, except in my head). My father was there and my friend Tiph, and there was travelling involved. The great part was that in the dream I had watched a Jim Jarmusch movie, which of course didn't really have much of a plot, and involved different groups of people doing similar, mundane activities. This is a particular movie that Mr. Jarmusch has yet to produce, so if it comes out on video soon, I'll have to revise my dream theory to include trips to another dimension to enable clarvoyance. On of the elements that kept repeating was everyone kept ordering some kind of "melt" (I'm not sure if it was the tuna melt which is my favorite.). I don't know if I would strictly classify this as a Jarmuschian element. It is possibly more of a David Lynchian theme, but the dream specified Jarmusch. The really great part was that throughout the rest of the dream I discussed and criticized the film with almost everyone I met. We were all a little critical and felt the "melt" connection between the characters was a bit trite and overdone. I wish I remembered the plots in more detail. I could start a new career as a scriptwriter!

Nessun commento: